Planning Your Trip
Salmon: 14th Feb to 30th October (compulsory catch and release until 16th June)
Wild Brown Trout: 15th March to 30th September
Sea Trout: 15th March to 30th September
Rainbow Trout – Reservoirs: 15th March to 30th November
Grayling: 16th June to 15th March
Carp & Pike: No close season
- Sunglasses - very important as this will offer eye protection while casting.
- Waterproofs and sensible footwear (e.g. wellingtons or walking boots) suitable for wet and possibly muddy conditions. Layering such as polypropylene under wader wear and fleece windstopper products
- A hat or cap to protect your head while casting. Beanie or similar for the winter.
- Sun screen & Water.
- A digital camera – preferably with waterproof carry case
- A Cooler Box is also a good idea just in case you make a catch you wish to take home!
All fishing equipment can be supplied including sunglasses by Costa, rods & reels by Hardy and waders by Simms, but please feel free to bring your own which may include:
River Fishing for Trout:
- 6' #3 to 10' #5 rods with matching reels and floating lines.
- Flies including Klinkhammers, Retirer Sedge and Bead Head Nymphs in a variety of sizes/weights.
- Tapered leaders from 2.5lb to 6lb breaking strain plus spare tippet.
- Chest waders are advisable and a pack to carry gear comfortably over long distances.
River Fishing for Salmon & SeaTrout:
- 9'6" #7 to 14' #9 rods coupled with reels that have a quality drag system.
- Floating, midge tip, intermediate and sinking lines.
- Flies including Stoats Tail, Cascade, Flame Thrower, Chernobyl Ants and The Loxy.
- Fluorocarbon leader such as Seaguar in breaking strains from 11lb to 20lb test.
- A large net (preferably with sling), torch, tube fly socketing & a priest.
- Chest waders are a must along with a lightweight wading jacket.
Stillwater Fly Fishing for Trout:
- 9'6" #7 to 10' #8 rods.
- Cassette style reel loaded with weight forward floating, midge tip, intermediate and various sinking lines.
- Flies including Buzzers, Blobs, Hoppers, Diawl Bach, Boobys, Damsels and Mini Lures.
- Fluorocarbon leader such as Rio fluoroflex and copolymer such as Rio Powerflex in breaking strains from 5lb to 12lb test.
- Long handled net, floatant, leader sink and a bass bag. Lifejacket or buoyancy aid.
Saltwater Fly Fishing – UK:
- 9'0" #8 to 9' #10 rods.
- Reliable reel which is able to operate in a saltwater environment coupled with various densities of line.
- Rio Outbounds are highly recommended and the Striped Bass intermediate.
- Flies including Clousers, Crease flies, Sand Eels, Flat Wings, Sloopy Droopy and Poppers.
- Fluorocarbon leader such as Seaguar in breaking strains from 15lb to 20lb test.
- Chest waders and a waterproof ruck sack.
Please note that the equipment list above provides a brief guide to the main requirements. For more detailed information please do not hesitate to contact me on 07971 198559 or via the contact form.
Novice courses on our small stillwater venue are covered by a block licence. All other venues require a statutory annual rod licence to be purchased. Please see the Environment Agency website here for details.
There is far more to a fly fishing holiday than just the fish! A decent hotel or guest house makes all the difference and can provide the perfect excuse for a short holiday away from it all. Situated in stunning countryside, within easy reach of many attractions, our choice guest houses and hotels provide an ideal base for anglers but also cater very well for non fishing partners. Who said it wasn't possible to have a romantic fishing break!
Three Acres Country House
Situated 5 - 20 minutes from most fishing venues. Bed & Breakfast. 6 rooms, huge beds, powerful showers, direct dial telephones, television and hairdryer. Licensed bar with comfortable lounge or sun terrace
T: 01398 323730
Situated 5 - 20 minutes from most fishing venues. Converted Mill House offering luxury Bed & Breakfast situated in a peaceful location. 6 boutique style rooms
T: 01398 323124
The Hartnoll Hotel
Situated 10 to 30 minutes from most fishing venues. This is an award-winning hotel nestled on the edge of the Exmoor National Park, in the delightful Exe Valley. Stunning decor, plenty of space to relax and exemplary customer service. There are 18 superior double rooms equipped to the highest modern standards offering en-suite bathroom facilities, flat screen television and WiFi. The Hartnoll Hotel has also become one of Devons premier gourmet restaurants.
T: 01884 252777
By Car: Satellite navigation code is TA22 9AY
By Train: Tiverton Parkway is our nearest station and is just 120 minutes from London Paddington on the fast train.
By Air: Exeter (30 mins) Bristol (60 mins) London Heathrow (180 mins)
Collection & Drop Off Service available – please enquire for further details
Road Directions: From J27 of the M5 take the A361 towards Tiverton. This is dual carriageway. Follow this road to a RAB and then take the 3rd exit on the A396 towards Bampton. Progress along this road until you arrive at a further RAB next to the Exeter Inn, turn left, taking the 1st exit and remaining on the A396. Follow this road until you arrive at a X Roads next to the Black Cat Garage (closed down) Go straight across remaining on the A396. Important: Do not turn left at this point (towards South Molton) or go right up the hill towards Bampton. You will arrive in Exebridge and see an unusual shaped house located on a X Road. Go left here on to the B3222. Follow this road for around 350 yds looking on the left hand side for the Anchor Inn. Go over a bridge and take the next turning on your right signposted to Exe Valley Fishery/Hart Flyshop Ltd. The car park is at the end of this lane on the left hand side. Should you experience any problems please contact 01398 323008 or 07971 198559.
“ I am still chuffed to bits with a bag of trout at that weight and can't stop thinking about a brilliant days fishing. We will most certainly be back and whether the experience is repeated or not I'm sure it will be a pleasure as you have a lovely fishery there - Read the Full Story - Click Here”
Steve Guscott - 5 Trout for 27lb 12oz